I am a sucker for snacks. I always look forward to evening snakcs. Since my childhood, the only time I used to wait for is evening snacks and like all mothers, my mother has spoilt me to the core. She used to make absolutely lip-smacking dishes for me in the evening and she still does that whenever I am at home with her. After marriage, it was really difficult for me to get used to the fact that I will have to cook my own evening snacks now onwards. Anyway, with time, I have gotten used to it and I have also learned to experiment and prepare new dishes. Of course, nothing beats mom’s food but it is just for me to keep my hunger in cotrol 😀
So, you will see many snack posts in the future. This post is about one of my favorite chili pepper, Jalapeño. This is an absolutely delicious, pop-in-your-mouth kind of appetizer/snack which goes brilliantly with an ice cold beer or margaritas 🙂 And one more thing, it is super easy and quick to make.
Serves approx 10-12
- Puff Pastry, ready made – 1 roll (you can also make it at home)
- Cream Cheese – 225 grams
- Green jalapenos, chopped (preferably bottled) – 1 tablespoon
- Red jalapenos, chopped – 1 tablespoon (you can either have 1tbsp each of green and red jalapenos or 2 tblsp of the same color)
- Sugar – 1/4 teaspoon
- Italian herbs (optional) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Preheat the oven to 374 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Mix chopped jalapenos (green and red), sugar and italian herbs (optinal) with the cream cheese in a bowl. Take fork and mash it well until everything is well blended and becomes a mixture.
- Roll out the puff pastry thinly.
- Place the jalapenos and cream mixtre in the middle of rolled out pastry and spread it evenly. Please note that the mixture should not touch the edges of the pastry.
- Once all the mixture is spread evenly, start rolling the pastry in the shape of a flute.
- Once rolled into a flute, cut small pieces of the flute so you get pinwheel shapes and place them in a dish.
- Bake these pinwheels for 12-13 mintues until they are golden brown and puffed up.
- And you have a perfect appetizer/snack for you 🙂
Just to make you aware that it will have a tangy taste because of the jalapenos so don’t worry if it tastes a bit tangy 🙂
Hope you enjoy it with the ice cold margarita as I did 🙂
Your suggestions are welcome 🙂
Sometimes simplicity can be beautiful… and delicious. A great example of this is “Insalata Pomodori e Mozzarella Bascilico or in other words, Tomato Mozzarella Basil Salad” :D. All it takes are four main ingredients and a little bit of seasoning to come up with a vibrant, dainty-looking starter, that is delicious and refreshes the palate. For me, tomato, mozzarella and basil are a match made in heaven. Needless to say, this is one of my favorite salads 🙂
Serves 4 people
- Cherry Tomatoes, preferably on the vine – 20 (or more if you have a big gathering)
- Fresh Basil Leaves – 20 (a bunch or 1 packet)
- Italian Mozzarella – 200 grams or 20 Bocconcini Balls (more if you have a big gathering)
- Cocktail Sticks – 20
For the dressing:
- Oregano – 1 teaspoon
- Italian Herbs – 1 teaspoon
- Black pepper – 1/2 teaspoon
- Lemon Juice – 2 teaspoons
- Salt – To taste
- Good Quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Cut the tomatoes and olives in half and add them to a mixing bowl.
- Cut mozzarella into cubes or use individiual bocconcini balls. As a rough guide for the size of the cubes, ensure that the cubes are roughly the same size as the halved tomatoes. Add the cubed mozzarella to the mixing bowl with tomatoes and olives.
- Roughly tear the basil leaves with your hands and add them to the mixing bowl.
- Add oregano, italian herbs, black pepper, salt, lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil into a small bowl and mix well.
- Add this dressing to the mixing bowl and lightly toss either with the hands or two large spoons.
- You can either serve the salad as is or thread the dressed tomatoes, mozzarella, olives and basil leaves onto the cocktail sticks alternating each of these ingredients. For a visual cue, you can refer to the photo on the post.
Voila! See, I don’t always post complicated recipes 😉
The best way to enjoy this salad is freshly made, just before eating. This is because, leaving the mozzarella and other ingredients after dressing them will lead to a soggy salad.
I hope you and your guests enjoy this refreshing little salad 🙂
As always, your feedback is welcome 🙂