We all have some favorite ingredients which we try to use quite often in our cooking. One of my favorite ingredients is coconut. I love coconut. And I try to use it in many of the desserts I make. I must have made a handful of cakes which have coconut in it. But this time, I wanted to bake something which is fairly healthy (so no guilt factor while hogging :D) and made with minimum ingredients. I came across this recipe and I knew that it would taste great and I was right!
- Desiccated Coconut – 3 cups
- Eggs – 4 (large) or 6 (small to medium)
- Vanilla Extract – 3 teaspoons
- Orange/pineapple Extract – 2 teaspoons
- Natural Honey – 4 tablespoons (more to make it sweet)
- Mixed dried fruits – 1/2 cup (optional)
- Bicarbonate of Soda – 2 teaspoons
- Preheat the oven to 140 degrees C. Line a loaf tin with a baking paper and keep aside.
- Mix coconut, eggs, vanilla extract, orange/pineapple extract, honey and soda in a food processor or using a hand mixer. Mix well until well combined.
- Add the dried fruits into the batter and fold in gently.
- Pour the batter into the lined tin and bake for 40 minutes or until a knife or a skewer inserted through the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool in the tin for 10 minutes then turn onto a wire rack and allow it to cool completely before cutting it.
You can modify this recipe as per your taste because it has so much scope for tweaking. I know I will make more modifications 😀
Have it with your evening cuppa of tea or coffee or make it for a tea party, I am sure everyone will love it 🙂
Do share your experience 🙂
I am a sucker for snacks. I always look forward to evening snakcs. Since my childhood, the only time I used to wait for is evening snacks and like all mothers, my mother has spoilt me to the core. She used to make absolutely lip-smacking dishes for me in the evening and she still does that whenever I am at home with her. After marriage, it was really difficult for me to get used to the fact that I will have to cook my own evening snacks now onwards. Anyway, with time, I have gotten used to it and I have also learned to experiment and prepare new dishes. Of course, nothing beats mom’s food but it is just for me to keep my hunger in cotrol 😀
So, you will see many snack posts in the future. This post is about one of my favorite chili pepper, Jalapeño. This is an absolutely delicious, pop-in-your-mouth kind of appetizer/snack which goes brilliantly with an ice cold beer or margaritas 🙂 And one more thing, it is super easy and quick to make.
Serves approx 10-12
- Puff Pastry, ready made – 1 roll (you can also make it at home)
- Cream Cheese – 225 grams
- Green jalapenos, chopped (preferably bottled) – 1 tablespoon
- Red jalapenos, chopped – 1 tablespoon (you can either have 1tbsp each of green and red jalapenos or 2 tblsp of the same color)
- Sugar – 1/4 teaspoon
- Italian herbs (optional) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Preheat the oven to 374 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Mix chopped jalapenos (green and red), sugar and italian herbs (optinal) with the cream cheese in a bowl. Take fork and mash it well until everything is well blended and becomes a mixture.
- Roll out the puff pastry thinly.
- Place the jalapenos and cream mixtre in the middle of rolled out pastry and spread it evenly. Please note that the mixture should not touch the edges of the pastry.
- Once all the mixture is spread evenly, start rolling the pastry in the shape of a flute.
- Once rolled into a flute, cut small pieces of the flute so you get pinwheel shapes and place them in a dish.
- Bake these pinwheels for 12-13 mintues until they are golden brown and puffed up.
- And you have a perfect appetizer/snack for you 🙂
Just to make you aware that it will have a tangy taste because of the jalapenos so don’t worry if it tastes a bit tangy 🙂
Hope you enjoy it with the ice cold margarita as I did 🙂
Your suggestions are welcome 🙂